Welcome to Michele Cole's Web site.
Name: Mrs. Michelle Cole
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number: 933 - 6000, ext. 3308
I am very bad at keeping this page up to date. I will do my best to keep you all in the loop. Right now, I am working on scientific method and we are using meal worms to conduct some experiments and put the scientific method into action. I will be finishing this unit by October 9th and that will be a test on scientific method and meal worms.
There have been 2 homework assignments so far.
The Scientific method
Method is key
Metamorphosis of Insects due Friday, October 2
Science Notes for September
Observation + question - Problem
Hypothesis (educated guess)
Collect data (results of experiment)
Conclusion - errors, application, extensions, was the hypothesis proved right or wrong
Variable - things that change
Independent variable - the part of the experiment that you change
Dependent variable - data that is found form the independent variable
Control - what the independent variable is compared to
Constants - what are the same is all the experiments
Quantitative results - numbers put on graphs, tables and charts
Qualitative results - pictures and illustrations added
Metamorphosis - Complete - 4 stages - egg, larva, pupa ( in a chrysalis or cocoon), adult
Incomplete - 3 stages - egg, nymph, adult
If.... Then statements are the way we will be writing our hypothesis
Be able to label parts of a meal worm.
The progressive test will be on November 3. It will be on all the notes we have taken as of this Friday. A 5 point bonus will be given to the students with a parent signature on the study guide. Study guides will be given out on Wed. Oct. 28. Thank you.
Plant Cell Parts:
cell wall -Protects and supports the cell
cell membrane - controls what enters and leaves the cell
vacuole - storage area - water
chloroplast- converts energy to food for the cell - from the sun
endoplasmic reticulum - transports materials in the cell
nucleus- command center, directs the cell's activities
ribosome - builds proteins for cell function
golgi body - receives, packages and distributes materials
mitochondria - powerhouse of the cell, produces energycytoplasm - gooey fluid that fills the cell and holds the organelles in place
Seed Plant Parts
- Seeds – structures that contain a young plant inside a protective covering.
- Stored food
- Seed coat - protection
- Embryo – a young plant that develops from a fertilized egg
- Cotyledons – food
- Seed dispersal –
- Germination – the early growth stage of the embryo – absorbs water
- Leaves – capture the sun’s energy and carry out the food-making process of photosynthesis
- Transpiration – water evaporates from the leaves
- Stomata - -pores ( like mouths – let water and air in and out
- Stems –
- The stem carries substances between the plant’s roots and leaves.
- Provides support for the plant and holds up the leaves so they can be exposed to the sun
- Roots – anchor a plant in the ground and absorb water and nutrients from the soil
- Taproot - - dandelion – one
- Fibrous root – branch out underground – treesSeed Plant Parts
Fertilization takes place when the pollen that is found on the stamen which includes the anther ( which is held up by the filament ), is caught on the sticky part of the plant called the pistil which is made up of the stigma ( which is attached to the style ). The pollen then moves down the style to the ovary where ovules ( eggs ) are located. The pollen then fertilizes the egg and then makes it turn into a pollinated seed. The petal of the flower is usually brightly colored to attract a bee, insect or bird.